Thursday, September 27, 2012

#17 - Waitress Picking My Meal & INSTAGRAM

(hahah, Last night's Conga drum video was epic, you should go check it out if you haven't seen it already. Big thanks to my roommate for her amazing moves in the kitchen!)

Oh man I'm so full. 

I just got back from Gringos Locos, a restaurant that serves Tex-Mex chow. It's located in the same building as Kisahalli, next to the National Opera. I owed my sister a birthday dinner and she decided we would eat at GL. My plan was to take advantage of this situation and let a waitress pick my entire 3-course meal. I normally like to eat burgers or steaks at restaurants, so gambling for my meal and getting something I would never normally order is something new and forces me to try new dishes. I also took a challenge on the side of taking INSTAGRAM pictures of all my meals. I've never used it before and it didn't seem that interesting to me, but since it's so popular, why wouldn't I give it a try?


My second Instagram picture: Picture of my first Instagram breakfast picture with a golden rose. PICINCEPTION! The hashtags in the bottom help users find pictures of what they like.


I entered the restaurant a little bit earlier than my sister and as I sat down, my waitress Laura asked me what I would like to drink. I replied: "You tell me." I explained to her that I was going to let her pick my drink and my meals for me today and she looked a bit confused at first, but then told me she'd be back with my drink soon.

My sister arrived after and I got my drink. It looked like cider with it's yellowish color and bubbles and I wasn't sure if Laura had remembered that I asked for a non-alcoholic beverage, since I don't drink at all. I took a sip and it tasted good, kinda like Pommac. I had no idea what it was, but it didn't matter. As my sister ordered her food I told Laura that she could pick anything for me on the list except the spicy stuff, since I don't really want to get sweaty & uncomfortable when I eat. She said she had already planned to pick the "Platter of Death", which is the spiciest food they have on the menu, but now she was going to have to change the dish.


My top secret drink


My appetizer arrived soon after. It was a small cup with three Nachos and a tomato sauce full of unknown bits and pieces. I think there was some avocado in there and I definitely identified shrimp. I've never eaten shrimp and my sister told me that if I was allergic to crusteans, my airways would soon be swollen shut. I freaked out a little, but since there were no ichy feels I continued to eat them. Oh yeah, the appetizer was cold. The taste was tomato. The tomato sauce was dominating all the other ingredients, so I would describe the taste as tomato sauce with unknown pieces thrown in, although it was a good choice, since I never eat shrimp.


Three nachos, a lime slice and tomato sauce.


As the food kept coming I kept Instagramming that stuff. I noticed People love taking photos of their food and sharing them to the world with Instagram filters, so I decided to do so as well. My hashtags needed a little work though..

Anyways my sister got her tortilla tray full of wonderful EATS and I got my main course. It was a steak of some sort! HALLELUJA! This was good because I FKN LOVE STEAK. For the challenge it wasn't that exciting, because I lucked out in the food roulette and didn't get something I wouldn't normally order. The steak had some kind of a black sauce on and under it. The garnishes included steamed veggies, potato slices and fried corn. I quickly tasted every steamed veggie to make sure I still didn't like steamed veggies. Check. The steak was good, but I didn't particularly care for the sauce. I enjoyed the buttery corn.



Dat meat



Join the tortilla side


I was quite full already, but we still had to enjoy dessert. My sister ate cheesecake and Laura brought me 3 balls of ice cream: Pineapple sorbet, Vanilla and Chocolate-chili. My favourite was the chocolate. We also ordered a Chili-chocolate milkshake out of curiosity, but the amount of chili in it was miniscule and didn't give us any burning sensation :(





Vader ready for cake


So after one hell of a meal I asked Laura to show me what I had eaten and explain why she picked them. She told me the drink was a Ginger Ale, something she likes to drink. I liked it as well!

My starter was king prawns marinated in lime and chili with tomato salsa, avocado and nachos. Three nachos to be exact, lol. She was contemplating on giving me snails, but decided to go with prawns as she thought everybody has eaten snails. Well, I haven't and that would have been even more exotic, but chili-lime prawns were a good choice nevertheless.. Too bad the tomato sauce kind of overtook the taste.

My main course was a Sirloin steak with chocolate-chili sauce, corn with chipotle butter, grilled vegetables and Creole potato wedges. The whole meal sounds pretty exotic, but I think the taste was quite the same as any other steak meal. I lucked out on this one, since there were a couple of vegetarian tofu meals on the list that I might not have enjoyed as much as steak.

Dessert was ice cream, which is probably the safest choice for me. 3 scoops was quite much though, I'm usually content with one ball of chocolate :)

After the explanations we took a picture together with Laura and I gave her my blogs url. She gave us the milkshake for free. Thank you Laura for great service and agreeing to choose my dishes :) It was cool to hear what went through your head when you chose my meals.


Our lovely waitress & me.


As for the instagramming goes, I think I'm done with the experience. The app is really easy to use, the filters give a "nice" artistic touch to the pictures and getting likes from unknown people is cool, but I just don't see any point in having such a photo blog. As my last Instagram picture I took a snapshot of my water. It already has two likes... 'Nuff said.


One of the most expensive challenges



1 comment: