Wednesday, September 12, 2012

#03 - African Party, Voguing & Hip Hop

WARNING! WALL OF TEXT BELOW!
IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY SIGNS OF FATIGUE, RESTLESSNESS OR BOREDOM WHILE READING THIS, PLEASE SCROLL DOWN TO THE END OF THIS PAGE AND THE PICTURE OF PUPPIES WILL HELP YOU FINISH THIS NOVEL.. THANK YOU.

So I had planned to hit the streets and go entertain people with my dancing today, but the weather didn't seem to like my plan. I checked the forecast yesterday and it predicted quite a bit of rain for the dance day, so my crew mate and I decided to post-pone our outdoor session. As the sun set I watched an episode of Scrubs on my computer and went to bed, not knowing what new thing I would try the next day.

In the morning I woke up, drank some coffee and headed towards the Olympic Stadium of Helsinki. I thought about how I might bake some cinnamon buns or write a letter today, but all that would have to wait until later, since now I had work to do! My school, Metropolia University of Applied Sciences was hosting a grand opening / sports event in the Stadium and my graphic design internship had set up a stall there. The event had all kinds of activities ranging from sports to dancing. We set up our stuff on a couple of tables and people started rolling in. I decided to go see what the outdoor area had to offer.

As I strolled around checking out the outdoor activities my eyes locked on a foam spear gracefully flying through the air. The throw was good since the spear seemed to go far. As it was about to land on the grass *BAMM!* it hit a woman straight in the head! I had not seen that before, not with a spear of any sorts at least. Thankfully the woman was alright and the thrower rushed to apologize for his amazing marksmanship.

As the day progressed, I noticed that we had too many people working at our stand, so me and my colleague Miia decided to go find ourselves something to do. We ended up in some weird african party dance/aerobics class where the rhythms were blazing and the goin' was sweaty! It was a fun half an hour and we decided to stay for Voguing.

Voguing ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogue_(dance) ) is a feminine street dance that consists of angular hand movements, posing and walking like models on a runway etc. We got a small introduction to what voguing is about, learned a  small choreography and walked like femmes and men on the runway! When the class was about to end, I asked our teacher Anneli to give us a solo. It was amazing and after she was done the whole class gave her the cheer she deserves.


Here's a clip of our Vogue teacher Anneli Ninja

In the end I also took my boss from work to try Hip Hop dancing. Both of my friends enjoyed the experiences and so did I. It was cool that they decided to try something new for fun, not everyone has the balls to just walk in to a dance class. I have danced in class many times before, but I've never tried African, Voguing or Hip Hop :) They all were fun, just like dancing always is!

ps. I also had my first encounter with pole dancing ;) They were giving out discount coupons to pole dancing lessons to everyone who tried a couple of moves on a pole, so I had to try it!

pps. I visited my sisters house with a friend because she wanted to see my sister's chihuahua puppies! Good prep work for the dog a day challenge :)


PUPPIES & Sone

No comments:

Post a Comment