Thursday, September 27, 2012

#16 - Conga Drum Extravaganza!

Ay Carambaa!

AY AY AYY, OR WHATEVER-THEY-SHOUT-WHEN-THEY-PLAY-TEH-CONGAAS!!

Today eso una Conga drum partyy. I've had Conga drums sitting in my apartment for a week now and I've been itching to play them. A friend of mine suggested I try banging (literally, not in the other way) his Conga drums for a day and he was kind enough to drop them off to my place last weekend. Now he couldn't really teach me anything but the basics, because it is a sad known fact that bald Caucasian males who have a Ph.D. in physics just can't play the Congas.. In his defense though, he's one of the "Original Gangstas" of Finland's Locking scene. That's right folks, I'm talking about the one and only Kai aka Locky Balboa from Will Funk for Food! Doctor of Philosophy & an Original Gangster, now that's bad ass.



A picture from one of Kai's lectures.


As you might have guessed, Conga drums are from the Congo. WRONG. We'll at least they're from Africa, right? WRONG. They actually originate from Norway, as the Vikings used to play drums whenever they were ready to attack & plunder a coastal village.. nope.  They are from Cuba.

ANYWAYS, I looked up some tutorials and after a couple of minutes I figured I was already a master at drumming and rhytyhyhym. You see, I have deep imaginary roots in Africa, so that's why the rhytythm runs in my blood. Wrythym. RYTHM. Rhytm. RHYTHM. YES!

Any-fucken-ways, without further ado, I present to you my Conga SOLO! (Don't mind my roommate constantly running in front of the camera, she didn't appreciate my playing AT ALL!!) 

ps. My outfit is a fusion of a locker/latin ballroom dancer/elevator guy, oh how faaaabulous! (no homo)





No comments:

Post a Comment